ATI REQUEST
Manpreet Chandi
Surrey, B.C
February 18, 2018
Rochelle Boudreau, Access to Information and Privacy
Coordinator
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
P.O. Box 1722, Station B
Ottawa, ON K1P 0B3
Dear Ms. Boudreau,
Under the Access to Information and Privacy Act, I formally
request that you provide me with:
· A copy of all Instant reports on car accidents
that have occurred at the 88 and King George intersection during the year of
2017, for all twelve months.
To avoid photocopying fees,
please provide me with electronic copies of the requested documents by email,
or CD. If certain areas of the documents cannot be released, please forward
those you can release.
If you have any questions, you
can contact me at (778) 713-7420 or by email at manpreet.chandi@email.kpu.ca
Please notify me when the
material is available for release.
Sincerely,
Manpreet Chandi
Explanation for request:
The 88 and King George intersection in Surrey BC, is known
as one of the 10 most dangerous intersections in the Lower Mainland. Because of
somebody else’s careless driving, I personally have been involved in 2 car
accidents at the intersection over the past six years. I have also witnessed
about five car accidents just in the past year at that intersection. Because of
the large intersection, car accidents that occur, affect the traffic in all
directions.
Considering the 2 car accidents I experienced and multiple I
have witnessed at the intersection of 88 and King George, my aim is to uncover
the amount of car accidents that happen at that intersection from the past year
only. I would like to discover what time of the year there was an increase of
accidents and decrease; After getting the reports, I hope to be able to tell if
there was an increase of accidents in the months of special occasions, such as,
July for Canada Day, October for Halloween, December/January for Christmas and
New year’s or if the intersection is simply ‘bad luck’. Hopefully by reading
the reports, I will be able to tell whether the car crashes occurred by drunk
drivers or other reasons.
Relevant News Articles/websites:
I like the motivation behind the request, and as I also live in an area with a high number of car accidents (and overall bad driving), I encourage you to put forth this request. However, I did find a typo in the inquiry - I believe you meant "incident" reports, not "instant" reports, and I think if might have flowed better you had requested from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017 rather than "all twelve months". Ultimately I thought the request was well researched and supported, well done!
ReplyDeleteI love how passionate you seem to be about this request! Your links proved very relevant to the issue at hand, and I agree that it'd be useful to see the correlation between holidays and frequency of incidents. It's devastating that there are so many accidents at this intersection, and I hope that if you sent this in it might encourage the RCMP to crack down on speeding and reckless driving in the area.
ReplyDeleteThat's really unfortunate you've been in car accidents in the same location, it does seem like bad luck! If you sent this in, I suppose there isn't much you can do about the intersections traffic, would you then choose a different route at different times of the year?
ReplyDeleteObviously as the amount of traffic increases in an area, so does the amount of accidents but its interesting how you specifically chose 88th and King George since I know many people who have been involved in incidents in that intersection. (professors included) Good idea using a topic that has personally effected you multiple times in the past. Only problem is you don't have anything to compare your data to to decide if the intersection itself is inherently dangerous (low visiblility for example) compared to other intersections of the same frequency or if its just a busy intersection and there's alot of incidents with no fault to the intersection itself
ReplyDeleteThis issue of accidents on King George and 88 is very troubling for everyone. I frequently use this intersection and I've been late to certain places because of the big or minor accidents that hold the traffic up. And I've also noticed that these accidents only occur around the rush hour which is around 3 or 4 which makes the traffic even worse. I love this ATI idea, but how are you going to unveil all the issues that you want to uncover if you don't have anything to compare with. I mean like do you only want to know about one intersection, do you want to know more in order to see which route will help you get home safer/ faster.
ReplyDelete